I’ve had my black MacBook for a few days now, and I am really loving it. I thought I’d share some of my thoughts, briefly, on my move from my 12″ PowerBook to the MacBook.
- The Speed: It is fast. And I mean, really, really fast. I love it. Photoshop (CS3) opens right up. Adobe Acrobat Professional opens up very quickly, and the general feel of the computer is that it is just very fast.
- The Screen: I didn’t think I was going to like the glossy screen. But I do. It’s hot. The screen size is perfect too – 13″ doesn’t sound like a lot more than 12″ but it does feel much bigger. And the colors really do “pop” on this glossy screen. I haven’t had any problems with glare yet, which was my main concern. Anyway – it’s a great display.
- The Color: I think the black is hot. Sure you’re paying for…well, for just the color, but since I can’t have my small MacBook Pro, the black MacBook helps my “need-to-be-different-for-some-reason” complex. And it’s just a very sexy looking color.
- The Size: The size is really perfect. I feel like I have a ton more real-estate with the 13-inch screen, yet it’s not a lot heavier than my PowerBook. I like the keyboard and just the overall design and size of the computer.
I don’t like…
- The Speakers: The speakers were definitely better on the G4 PowerBook. They’re not “horrible” but they were much crisper and louder on my PowerBook.
- The Smudges: I love the colors on the glossy screen, but I am not a fan of the smudges. I had a very small little dot that I tried to wipe clean with the edge of my shirt and it made the smudge about 10x bigger. I did buy some iKlear to help with the problem, so we’ll see if that works.
- The Fingerprints: And yes, it does show fingerprints a lot more. I tend to be very anal about my computer, and I don’t work on it or pick it up if my fingers are greasy at all – but it really does show a lot more. I’m hoping the iKlear will help with that as well.
I say it’s bittersweet because even though I have an awesome new MacBook right now, I am still sad to have to sell my PowerBook. It’s been very good to me and I’m not all that excited about parting with it. I am still holding out hope for a smaller MacBook Pro – but we’ll see. Anyway – if you’re in the market for a new computer, I do highly recommend the MacBook. It is sleek, fast and has everything you could want. Plus if you buy soon, you get the free printer, and free iPod.