Ordination Update

UPDATE: I will write more about the meeting and how things are going to play out, but I just wanted to update everyone and let you know that the meeting today went very well (albeit the fact that it was 4 hours long)! Thank you for your prayers! Everyone was very eager to just have some honest conversation about everything. I think I presented myself very well and responded to their concerns honestly and openly. There was even some laughter in the room at times. After we met, they voted to transfer me down to the Presbytery of San Francisco, which is what I was hoping would happen. There are going to be a lot of details to work out with that process, but today really went as well as it could! Thanks again for everyone’s prayers and support.

I’m not going to go into many details at this point, but many of you knew I was supposed to get ordained by Kendall Presbytery in Idaho on December 7th. Some of you even got invitations to the Ordination Worship Service. But it did not happen. I’ve made many semi-ambiguous and flat-out ambiguous Facebook/Twitter updates about the process and what is going on, but haven’t shared much more of what happened. I’m not going to share many details now either, but I did want to give a short update.

In the planning of my ordination worship service, I invited my good friend Tony to preach at the service. There were some, including my home church, who were shocked that I’d ask someone who is gay to preach, and that is the incident that ended up derailing my examination before presbytery and consequently my ordination service. Over the past 3 months, I have been accused of many things, I have had my call referred to as “selfish” and “self-serving”, I have had a pastor sign an email to me “With No Respect” and many other things.

At 10am today, as you are reading this post, I am meeting with the Committee on Ministry (COM) to apparently respond to these accusations. There is a group of people who have called my fitness for ministry into question, and have made a recommendation to COM that I be removed as a Candidate for Ministry. I have no sense of how this meeting is going to go, and that is a bit anxiety-producing to say the least. There is so much more that I could say about this, but don’t feel like I should at this time. If you are a person who prays, please pray for myself and all the members of the Committee on Ministry; please pray that we would really hear each other and listen to one another. Please pray that we would all “clothe ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience…”

Needless to say, since this is such a personal situation, I ask that if anyone feels like leaving a comment here, that it not be an attempt to start a debate with me about any of the issues surrounding my situation. I reserve the right to delete any comments.

Comments

Well adam, i think i speak for a lot of people reading this blog post when i say that we’re all praying for you.

You’re one of the best preachers i’ve met, regardless of whether you’re ordained or not.

Adam,

I know you know this, but sometimes it helps to have someone else say true things to you in times of trial.

You are a gifted minister. You are called to be present to people and extend the loving hand of Christ into this world. The mode of operation may change, but the call and the gift remains the same.

I am holding you in The Light today, here on the other side of the world.

With Respect and Admiration,

Rachelle

3. Craig says

My prayers are with you, and the COM for clear gracious discernment. May you be like Daniel in the lion’s den, i.e. unhurt, in one piece, maybe even at peace with the big cats.

4. Sharmyn says

I AM a praying person — and one who believes most devoutly in the power of prayer. I have prayed and will continue to pray for all concerned to go forward in grace, compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, and God’s unconditional love.

I also believe that there is a plan for your life and your spirit, Adam, and that however this meeting unfolds, God can, and will, if requested, use it (and you) for good. Your talents will make a difference if you but trust in God and walk the path of love.

Peace be with you this day.

5. Bridget says

Thanks for the update Adam. I have been praying daily for you since it became clear that something was amiss. God knows the details so there is no need for me to know them.
    May you know the peace and love of Christ this and every day.

If there’s anything I can do for you while you’re in Idaho, let me know. Is it okay if I bring up just the bare details at our Boise EV cohort meeting tomorrow (Thursday) night, and maybe we’ll pray? Of course, this all will probably be over by then.

7. Rev. Eric Ledermann says

There is no question in my mind of your call to ministry. You and those involved have been and will continue to be in my prayers.

8. Sarah says

Praying. Thanks for a bit more of the story as it helps me wrap my mind around your journey. Someday I will share a story that has some similarities and caused my home church to delay moving me to candidacy by several months. All will be well, and all manner of things will be well – eventually. Peace,Adam.

Adam,

I enjoy reading your blogs, and I am praying for you on this journey. I am also going through the same process, and I know there are many obstacles that can get in our way. May God grant you peace and justice in this situation and may you eventually find the reasoning behind your delay and how it WILL glorify God!

Comfort. Seems awry right now, but some day it will make sense. Trust me. I will never tell anyone that God has a plan or some such thing, but in the end, things end up making sense if we persevere. When I went before presbytery of call they literally brought me to tears – jovial, yet stoic me. Took me a few years, but I “got” it.

With that I hope “they” got their shit together and figured it out.

11. Cheryl Glenn says

Hang in there, Adam. You truly are a trailblazer…. It’s hard work, but thanks for living in solidarity with us. It sucks, but you’re fighting the good fight.

Much like a few others, Adam, I found myself in a pickle with my CPM to the point of removing myself the week before candidacy (ironically it was this coming weekend). It’s been the hardest, most liberating, difficult decision I’ve ever made. But knowing that this system is broken, and similar to what Tony J just wrote on his blog, something is wrong with the system we have also grown to love. May your rest in an assurance that God is good – even with COMs and CPMs are a little broken. :)

13. Lance says

Hate to hear that. Curious if you want to still be connected to such a group, or are there other options?

I get more frustrated with the denomination daily, it seems. I am only three years into ordained ministry, but I’m not sure if I would do it with the same bunch again.

But in my congregation–I love ministry. It won’t be long until you have the option of leaving this drama behind.

15. mark says

Does anyone else find it funny that the biggest ad on this page is asking if you want to be an ordained pastor?

I just read the blog and I’m so excited to hear that things went well today. I barely know you but from what I do know…. I would have you as my minister any day!
    Praying for a smooth transition to the SF Presbytery group!

Wait wait, is this how some at Asbury are treating you? Not too long ago we had an entirely gay ministry.

I’m sorry you have to deal with ignorance from people. It seems that it could work out better for you though. Good vibes.

@Devin – no, no. This is not connected to anything at Asbury. This is stuff I’m dealing with from Presbyterians up in Idaho.

Nope, people at Asbury rock!

19. Jim says

Adam,
    I was linked to this post from Tony Jones’ blog. I feel this pain and I will be praying for you through this. I have been in a similar situation with my church and know the anxiety, fear, anger, confusion and broken heartedness that comes with these types of conflicts . I can see your heart through your words and look forward to hearing how God moves you through this situation.

20. John ODonnell says

I’m not a Presbyterian so I can’t comment on your Churches processes. I’ve followed your comments for a while. Any congregation would be well-served with you as its Pastor. I pray that the Spirit will guide the outcome.

21. Stephen says

Adam,

I want to admit here that I prayed against your ordination. I was praying that God would work through the PCUSA ordination process to deny you a chance at ever being called a “minister” (though I mean c’mon really does it mean anything any more?). Sadly the Presbytery of Idaho proved itself to be a synagogue of Satan rather than a Church of our One Lord.